Monday 9 January 2012

Thermal


The use of colour to translate data in this form results in a visually inspiring thermal/heat map.

I attempted to research further into creating one for Ancoats, downloading Google Earth trying it that way and various other links but I seemed to get nowhere. I progressed onto looking into thermal imagery and thermography. I discovered thermal imaging cameras are used to detect radiation in the infrared range of the elecromagnetic spectrum and produce images of the radiation by form of a thermogram. Thermography makes it possible to see one's environment with or without visible illumination. The amount of radiation emitted by an object increases with temperature. Thermal imaging cameras are excellent tools for night vision as they don't need a source of illumination. They produce an image in the darkest of nights and can see through light fog, rain and smoke. They can detect even small temperature differences and make them become visible. The images produced are essentially visual displays of the amount of infrared energy emitted.

I would love to take this idea further I am just limited by equipment, I intend to enquire at uni but highly doubt they will have anything along these lines to produce this so will have to look at another route. Night vision perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment